Thursday, July 19, 2007

Summer Update

Hi all. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. It is slipping away quickly up here.

Quick update on what is going on here. Baseball ended at the end of June with my son's team finishing 9-4 in the regular season, winning a playoff game, then losing the next game. The absolute highlight was the playoff game they won. My son struggled at the plate this year. Not sure why (great coach huh?). His confidence was not real high and it resulting in him not hitting much.

His pitching was great though. He would pitch 3 innings most games before we brought someone else in to keep everyone fresh and ready for the playoffs. Also, there was a new rule this year in little league that limited the pitch count of each kid. As a 10 year old, he could throw up to 75 pitches, but that was it in any given game. The rule is supposed to help the kids, so they don't get worn out at an early age. It made it very difficult on us coaches though, because there was a lot more strategy to it.

Anyway, the head coach decided to start him in the first playoff game. He ended up cruising throughout. After the fifth inning, he had thrown 71 pitches, so we figured we could get one more batter out of him. We were up 3-0, but that is nothing in little league, especially when you bring in a new pitcher and he can't find the plate.

He went out for the top of the 6th and the first kid up swung at the first pitch and grounded out to short. The second hit the first pitch for a single. The 3rd kid hit a grounder to short and we almost turned 2, but got one instead. That left him at 74 pitches. Since the next pitch put him at the limit, he was able to finish that batter. He ended up striking that kid out to end the game with a complete game shutout. It was great to watch and I was very proud of him.

The coach started a different kid in the next game and my son got in around the 3rd inning but we were already losing. We ended up going down 7-4 and that team ended up winning the championship. All in all, not a terrible season.

We have pretty much just been chillin for July so far. We made it up to my mom's cabin in Maine for the 4th of July weekend. That was a good time. Figured I would include a picture of that, as you can see.



Anyone that used to keep up with this space knows that I coached football last year for the first time. I was an assistant and had a good time with it. Well this year is going to be a little different. The head coach from last year didn't really work out. They asked me to take over so here I am. We have paperwork and equipment day on Saturday and practice starts on July 30th. Like I said, the summer will be gone in no time. I have met with all the coaches, had our draft, and am now just planning for the upcoming season. I am looking forward to it, but I am a little nervous too. Luckily, some of the other coaches are more experienced that I am so that should help.

Work is going well and I am lucky because I have flexibility to be able to coach. I am also getting to go to Vegas September 17-21 for a conference, wOOt! I am planning on catching up with Don and Carmen for sure, but if you are planning on being out there at the same time, let me know. I can't wait for that. I haven't been in forever it seems like. I am looking forward to the craps tables more than the poker tables, since I am so out of practice, but I am sure I will see a donkament or 2. The Caesar's one treated me ok last time, so with the ones they have now, maybe I will give one of those a shot again.

I think that is about all that is new from here. The Sox have started their annual swoon, but hopefully they can get it back together. We don't need another '78. Enjoy the rest of your summer all!

4 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger mookie99 said...

It's great to see another post from you man.

Sounds like you are staying busy with the kids and sports. It's been a lot of the same for us as well.

Damn, wish I could get out to Vegas in September. Who knows maybe Mrs. Mookie will win a huge jackpot when we go in August and I'll be able to make it out there again in September.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger jjok said...

fun times bro

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

Holy Crap! I am going to be in Vegas over the 16th and 17th of Sept. Maybe we'll get lucky and our paths will cross and we can have a drink and play a hand or 2. Email me your schedule at iamhoff@gmail.com or catch me on the girlie chat somewhere. Schweeet!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

Good to hear your doing well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?