Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Actual Poker Content...No, Really!!

Not a lot, mind you, but I did play a little bit last night on Stars. I got home a little late for the WWdN so I jumped into a 1 table turbo SNG and also registered for the $10+1 Turbo MTT that started at 9:45 or so.

In the 1 table, I ended up cashing but in 3rd. Nothing much to speak of really, but I was happy to get some cash on the positive side for once lately.

After trying to do a little bit of catching up on my blog reading, yesterday I was reading 1 of about 5 posts that I had to catch up with on Iak's. He said, which I have said in the past, that cash games weren't his thing. He tried and decided he just wasn't good enough at them, and didn't want to change his game so drastically to try and get good at them.

I feel the exact same way, and have said so in the past on these here pages. I like the limited losses associated with the MTT's and feel like my game is better suited to them. That is why I wanted to give the $10 Turbo a try. I had played it a few times in the past with JJ and Hoy, back when JJ put some of his time into them, and back before Hoy was final tabling big guarantee tourneys.

Well, over 1300 peeps decided the same thing apparently. With 135 cashing, it seemed like it would take a while if I got some luck and played solid. I decided to go back to the basics and play tight tight tight. At the end of the tourney, my flops seen percentage was a hearty 8%, but it did pay off, kinda.

Out of 1317 runners, I came in 20th. I should have made a run to the final table but I made a real poor play when I was about 5th in chips with maybe 25 people left. I had just doubled up when I pushed my 45k or so stack in with big slick. The big stack at the table called me with pocket jacks. JJ was not ok for him as I hit a K and was sitting pretty with about 105K.

I sat back for an orbit or 2 when I get QJo in EP and decide to bump it up and steal the blinds. The blinds were huge, like 4k/8k or something so I bumped it up to 30k. Unfortunately the button, who had me covered went over the top on me and I had to lay it down. I had Waffles on the girly chat and he confirmed what a donk move it was, naturally, lol.

Anyway, I sat with nothing for another orbit or so, then decided it was push and pray time. I got A6o and it folded around to mid in middle position. I pushed my 50k in and some dude with about 90k called with A10o. I don't improve, Waffles calls him a donk, and IGHN in 20th.

I had a great time and it felt good to go deep for the first time in a while. I had forgotten how crushing it was to get that far, and get a whopping $60, while first paid a little over $3k, but I will keep plugging away and hopfeully will get there some time. Again, I really think these suit me a little better. I am just not a great player, and don't have the patience, time or interest to analyze like many of the much better players do. It is just a realization that I have come across, and am completely fine with. So there it is. Look for me in some of the nightly tourneys on Stars for a while.

On the football front, we lost again on Sunday. It was another close game, 7-0, and we really should have been able to pull off the win. As a first year coach, I am not sure what we are doing wrong, but it seems like we are almost going backwards. Our best game of the year was the first one really. We keep tweaking things and making changes so we will see how this week goes. We recognize a few things we have to do differently and will need to work on those things today and Saturday in practice. The most frustrating this is the kids don't seem to have the best concentration. We have been trying to switch up some of the snap counts, but the other team seems to be reacting quicker than our kids. Lack of focus or something.

I think I mentioned last week that when we got beat 21-0, I was a raving lunatic at one point. It doesn't seem to work. We aren't yellers really, but even when we do yell, it doesn't seem to correct much. My wife says we should offer up ice cream for a win. We used to say if we won a baseball game, we would take the team to "Kush Kone", the local ice cream join. It is surprising how that used to work. Since we are dealing with 9 and 10 year olds, I guess that might actually be the trick. You never know I guess.

Anyway, if anyone out there has any advice, I am all ears.

I am a serious short timer here at my job now. Only 2 more days here after today. I am really looking forward to the change and the new challenges ahead in my new role. I don't know if I talked too much about the new gig on here yet, but I will shortly. Maybe tomorrow even. I don't have a whole lot to do lately since I have already transitioned most of my projects, and my team, to the people that are taking them. They are taking me out for drinks after work tomorrow night and I am sure it will be a late one.

Ok, that's all I have. Back to a sudoku puzzle or something. Hey, go check out some of the fine bloggas on the right. I just added Tommy2Tone. He is a new guy on the scene so check him out and say hello.

2 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

meh. From what I can tell you played fine.. ep move with QJ was a bit iffy but if it worked then your a hero. We both did not like the A6o push but you really had no choice. Like I said in my blog, its harder to go out 24th than 1300th.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger T0mmy2T0ne said...

Heya Drew!

Great post and much congrats for the strong finish sir! I'm somewhat suprised the depth you achieved played so tightly.. But good work! Hope to see ya tonight on the mookie!

Take care,

T2T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?