Friday, September 29, 2006

The last day

So here we are. My last day at work here at State Street Corp. In an ironic twist, the monthly employee newsletter was published yesterday with my 10th year anniversary announcement included. The company is huge, so the list is real big anyway, but it was pretty funny to see that.

I move on from my role as requirements manager within our IT group here, to a new role as director of operations and technology at a much smaller capital management firm. My roots here are actually in the institutional operations space, and I was an operations manager for a private wealth management company when I left State Street for a 2 years hiatus 4 years ago. Although the new place is pretty small, only about 35 people, it is owned by a huge law firm so there is some long term financial security to fall back on. The capital management firm has been in existance for almost 20 years and has been a steady offering for the law firm in that time. The plan is now to grow the business by tapping into the large number of lawyers across the country. The law firm recently combined with another firm to make it even larger. I will also be working some outside investment managers that will enhance the current investment options for our clients.

I am looking forward to the move and a great new opportunity.

Last night my current group took me out for the last day drinkfest. We had a great time and I ended up barely making the last train out of town at 10:40. I have a lot of friends here that I will miss hanging out with, but my new office is pretty close to this one anyway, so I am sure I will see them.

No poker the last couple days for me. My wife is going out tonight but if the mother in law is at home, I am going to a home game tourney at a buddy's. Hopefully I will have something good to report there. If I can't get out, I will probably pick a tourney on Stars tonight and give that a shot. If you are out there tonight, look me up.

7 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

Good luck with the new job!

I find that moving on from one job to another is one of those strange transitions in life. You spend so much time getting to know the people you work with and then one day, it's all over in the pursuit of better work and better pay.

I hope that fresh employement gives you a fresh perspective on poker and brings you back to the tables stronger than ever (I know you still play, but not as much as you used to if your posts are any indication).

Anyway, congratulations on the move upwards and outwards. I hope that this turns out to be great for you and your family.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Good luck man! I find moving from job to job is like changing your underwear.. you gotta do it regularly or it starts to stink. Of course I am a consultant so we tend to move about.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Jimmy said...

Good luck, Chris. I hope everything works out well for you and your family. I'm only a month from changing jobs as well, so I know what you are going through. Hope to see you online soon.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger mookie99 said...

Good luck with the new job. Do you start the new gig right away or do you have a break in between ?

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Congrats on the move, Chris.
When I was working in my law firm in Boston, I used to love to head over to the State Street cafeteria (in the "pregnant building", I'm sure you know the one I mean) for lunch. Sorry if you're leaving that cafeteria because it's about as good as that kind of place gets, and pretty cheap too as I recall. But I'm sure you're making a great move for yourself and your family, and that's all that really matters in the end. Good luck!

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Thanks guys.

K, it just might, but I think once football season ends, I will have more time to devote.

Waffles, I actually hope I like this one for a while. I feel like a hopper all of sudden because the last 2 I haven't stayed more than 2 years.

Dave, I will look for you so we can get a game in. Good luck with your new job too.

Mook, no rest unfortunately. I think I am too cheap or something. We were going to try and get away for a couple days but no babysitter. I figured no use in sitting around not getting paid for a week. I should have taken a week though.

Mac, no news is good news man. It is the strangest thing really. It seems to have faded as quickly as it came thankfully.

Hoy, I was actually in a newer State Street building. The caf was actually pretty good but I like to try and get out of the building anyway so I won't miss it much.

Thanks for stopping by all.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Chris, GL brotha, sorry I'm late to the party. I am betting things go very well and looking forward to hearing all about it. God willing you will get neighbours who through as cool a party as your old ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?