Friday, April 07, 2006

Whiney Bad Beat Suckout Post

You saw the title. That is what you are getting here. If you don’t like hearing about it, or following the hand histories of death, don’t read on. If you do read on, please feel free to comment a big, fat STFU. I just have to bitch a little. All the cool kids are doing it. Also this is waaaayyyy too long so no links today.

My night consisted of a few 6-max SNGs toward my challenge, 1 $8 token SNG, and 14 hands of $1/$2 NLHE ring. Yes, 14 whole hands. If you want to stop here and just comment that I am a total dumbass for playing over my bankroll, it’s cool. I will understand. I played only on Full Tilt last night (So Waffles, yes, I am actually playing some there now, although if this keeps up, I won’t be for long).

SNGs

So Wednesday night, I started off my 6-max SNG Challenge that I found on Trip’s site. I only had time for one that night and I won it, so I was feeling pretty good with my start. I jumped into one last night, and the on the first hand, some donkey got bounced. Cool, down to 5. The next hand, I get pocket Ks. I bump it up about 8xBB since it is the first level and get 2 callers. The flop comes down 6 7 10 rainbow. I bet out the pot and the first caller pushes. Once again, I overplay my cowboys and push on him. He had 67 sooted for 2 pair and I am out. Played 3 others in which I only made the money in one of them. I need to set up the grid today sometime for this challenge but the bottom line is, I am up a whopping $2.50 at this point.

Token SNG

KJ mentioned these SNGs to me. He has cashed in the 3 that he has played and said he thought I would do well. I remembered reading in Hoyazo’s blog that he played these also, so, I shot him an IM and we both jumped into one. It was pretty crazy what some of the people were playing. It was terrible, but I just couldn’t get ANY cards. I mean none. I got the final table seeing exactly 1 flop, which was my unraised BB that I folded to the first bet. The only pot I picked up was a steal from the button with K9 sooted. I was one of the shorter stacks and was in push or fold mode once at the final table and the blinds were getting big. The top 6 pay and there were 8 of us left when I finally got a pp of 9s in the BB. There was a limp in EP from the big stack and it folded around to me. Rather than push and surely be called, I figured I would see the flop and then push, no matter what. The flop came down A 3 5 rainbow and I pushed and was insta-called by the big stack with…4’s. Hoyazo shot me a “Nice” in chat and I waited for the chips to slide my way. But way, he does have a gutshot draw and those pesky 4s to give him 6 outs. Turn was a blank but the river, and you knew this because of the title of my post, was a crappy duck to river his ass the straight. Out in 8th. Ridonkulous.

$1/$2 NL Ring

Ok, so this is way over my bankroll. Actually, the max on this table is well over my current FT bankroll. I was chatting with KJ earlier though about how he was moving to NL ring because he was sick of the crappy beats in tourneys that he spends hours on. Even though he was cashing, he was winning very little. He said that my tourney game was similar to his and I should give his theory a shot. Although I know I am not as good a player as he is, it did make sense. He said that the $1/$2 level was the level with good action so to start with a minimum stack, try to double up and then leave and do it again. Even though I would be at a disadvantage to the big stacks, if I played tight, I should do fine he said.

After my SNG suckout, I figured WTF? Why not give it a shot. I checked the 50c/$1.00 NL table avg pots and they were like $5 while the $1/$2 were anywhere from $15-$40. Btw, we are talking 6-max also here. Just to add more lunacy into my play. Hey, if I am going to play tight, might as well get the action when I get the cards right?

I found a nice table with 5 people that had a good avg pot size, but only one big stack. Everyone else was under a $100 and 2 people had about what I was sitting down with, which was $40.

I sat down and waiting for the BB to play. On my first hand, I get AK soooted. Well, here we go, AK, Anna Kournikova, looks good, never wins. Of course I have to play it right? It folds to the button who at this point only has $22 and he raises to $7. The SB folds and I bump push him in, knowing he is going to call but with what he had left, I didn’t want to doubt myself post flop.

He calls and the cards turn over to reveal his QJo. Sweet first hand baby. Umm, until the Q on the fricking turn and the chips slide his way. CB.

Full Tilt Poker Game #550222574: Table Starcrest (6 max) - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:37:43 ET - 2006/04/06
Seat 1: ChinoLoco78 ($368.20)
Seat 2: gambit010 ($21.75)
Seat 3: Colossus33 ($85.90)
Seat 4: drewspop ($40)
Seat 5: noto ($78)
Seat 6: FANMAIL ($0), is sitting out
Colossus33 posts the small blind of $1
drewspop posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #2
gambit010: no play :(
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to drewspop [Ks As]
noto folds
ChinoLoco78 folds
gambit010 raises to $7
Colossus33 folds
drewspop raises to $22
gambit010 calls $14.75, and is all in
drewspop shows [Ks As]
gambit010 shows [Js Qh]
Uncalled bet of $0.25 returned to drewspop
*** FLOP *** [2d 2h 5c]
*** TURN *** [2d 2h 5c] [Qc]
*** RIVER *** [2d 2h 5c Qc] [3s]
drewspop shows a pair of Twos
gambit010 shows two pair, Queens and Twos
gambit010 wins the pot ($42.50) with two pair, Queens and Twos
FANMAIL stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $44.50 | Rake $2

Ok, now thoroughly depressed after only one hand, but knowing I played it the only way I knew how, I folded a few hands until I got pocket 8’s in MP. I pushed my $18 or so in, and was called by the BB with KQo. My pp held up and I was back up to about $36. Phew.

Full Tilt Poker Game #550236535: Table Starcrest (6 max) - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:43:23 ET - 2006/04/06
Seat 1: ChinoLoco78 ($384.90)
Seat 2: gambit010 ($32.50), is sitting out
Seat 3: Colossus33 ($81.90)
Seat 4: drewspop ($16.95)
Seat 5: noto ($45)
Seat 6: SCR22 ($227)
noto posts the small blind of $1
SCR22 is sitting out
ChinoLoco78 posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to drewspop [8h 8s]
SCR22 stands up
Colossus33 folds
drewspop raises to $6
tlmeyer sits down
tlmeyer adds $80
noto raises to $45, and is all in
ChinoLoco78 folds
drewspop calls $10.95, and is all in
noto shows [Qs Kh]
drewspop shows [8h 8s]
Uncalled bet of $28.05 returned to noto
gambit010 has returned
*** FLOP *** [2h Ad 9c]
*** TURN *** [2h Ad 9c] [Th]
*** RIVER *** [2h Ad 9c Th] [2c]
noto shows a pair of Twos
drewspop shows two pair, Eights and Twos
drewspop wins the pot ($34.15) with two pair, Eights and Twos
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $35.90 | Rake $1.75

A couple hands later, I get this and double up again to get me to $70.

Full Tilt Poker Game #550241134: Table Starcrest (6 max) - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:45:16 ET - 2006/04/06
Seat 1: ChinoLoco78 ($377.70)
Seat 2: gambit010 ($38.70)
Seat 3: Colossus33 ($79.90)
Seat 4: drewspop ($34.15)
Seat 5: noto ($28.05)
Seat 6: tlmeyer ($80)
Colossus33 posts the small blind of $1
drewspop posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to drewspop [Jd 6h]
noto: everyone
noto calls $2
ChinoLoco78 folds
gambit010 calls $2
Colossus33 calls $1
drewspop checks
*** FLOP *** [Ah Kc 6d]
Colossus33 checks
drewspop checks
noto checks
gambit010 checks
*** TURN *** [Ah Kc 6d] [Js]
Colossus33 bets $6
drewspop calls $6
noto folds
gambit010 folds
*** RIVER *** [Ah Kc 6d Js] [6s]
Colossus33 bets $20
drewspop raises to $26.15, and is all in
Colossus33 calls $6.15
*** SHOW DOWN ***
drewspop shows [Jd 6h] (a full house, Sixes full of Jacks)
Colossus33 mucks
drewspop wins the pot ($70.30) with a full house, Sixes full of Jacks
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $72.30 | Rake $2

Woot. I should have followed KJ’s advice and left the table then and jumped back into another one. I almost did too, but the stacks and the play was too inviting to leave this table, plus I was doing ok now right?

A couple hands later, I am on the button and there is one limper to me. I decide to limp in with Q9 sooted and bail if I get raised. The SB completes and the BB checks. Cool, a cheap flop. The flop is Q 8 9 rainbow. Very nice. With about $8 in the pot, the SB checks and the BB bets $8. He had just sat down with $80, and probably saw that he had everyone covered that was in the hand. I put him on top pair but nothing more (listen to me, like I am Ted Forrest or some shit, like I can read minds. It sure is easier when you find out after huh?).

The first limper folds and I bump it to $16 to go. The SB folds and the BB pushes! Hmm, did he hit a set? Flop a straight? I didn’t think so, so I called and see that he has Q 10o for top pair medium kicker. Woot. The turn is a big old Ace. Hehe, no help for the villain. Let me click on that sit out next hand button now so I put this cash back into the growing bankroll. Whoopee. The river is a...A? No helpppp…errrrr…..why are my $138 in chips sliding his way…oh, fuck…my nines are counterfeited…he has me outkicked with that bullshit 10 doesn’t he? Forgot to where the cup tonight. I couldn’t help it, I typed in “weak” and took the screenshot of my demise. CB.

Full Tilt Poker Game #550245576: Table Starcrest (6 max) - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:47:05 ET - 2006/04/06
Seat 1: ChinoLoco78 ($377.70)
Seat 2: gambit010 ($36.70)
Seat 3: Colossus33 ($48.75)
Seat 4: drewspop ($69.30)
Seat 5: noto ($24.05)
Seat 6: tlmeyer ($80)
noto posts the small blind of $1
tlmeyer posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to drewspop [Qs 9s]
ChinoLoco78 folds
gambit010 folds
Colossus33 calls $2
drewspop calls $2
noto calls $1
tlmeyer checks
*** FLOP *** [Qc 8d 9d]
noto checks
tlmeyer bets $8
Colossus33 folds
drewspop raises to $16
noto folds
tlmeyer raises to $78, and is all in
drewspop calls $51.30, and is all in
tlmeyer shows [Tc Qd]
drewspop shows [Qs 9s]
Uncalled bet of $10.70 returned to tlmeyer
*** TURN *** [Qc 8d 9d] [As]
*** RIVER *** [Qc 8d 9d As] [Ah]
tlmeyer shows two pair, Aces and Queens
drewspop shows two pair, Aces and Queens
tlmeyer wins the pot ($139.60) with two pair, Aces and Queens
drewspop is sitting out
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $142.60 | Rake $3



Now, I know that $40 isn’t a lot of money. It did represent about 25% of my bankroll at Full Tilt, but I will get over it. The problem is that I played the best I could, and still got monkey stomped. It’s not like I took a cmitch hit or anything, but it plants seeds of doubt that are tough to overcome.

No More Bitching, Non-Poker Stuff Here

Ok, sorry, back to your regularly scheduled, normal boring shit.

Last night after work, it was finally warm enough (about 55 degrees) and light enough, to play catch with my son in the yard. I love the spring and it is amazing how kids grow up so fast. Last year, when my oldest was 8, we would play catch and it was fun, but I still had to watch how fast I threw it to him, and still basically avoided throwing it directly at him to avoid the possibility he would miss it and it would hit him in the face or whatever. I would try to throw it to the glove side, etc. Also, he would frustrate the hell out of me by throwing the ball all over the place. One out of 5 throws was a big lollipop or would sail over my head and I would have to chase it down.

What a difference a year makes. He has been going to a pitching and hitting clinic for the last 6 weeks indoors. He is a big kid and always talked about pitching, so I figured he might as well learn from someone that knew what they were doing. I played 3rd base in high school and was never a pitcher after little league, so I don’t really have much of a clue. We went out there last night and he had a nice fluid motion and was firing right at the glove the whole time. It was pretty cool. After about 15 minute of crouching, I was getting cramped up and told him I should throw him some popups, grounders and just catch.

We then just started throwing the ball back and forth and it was amazing the difference. He was grabbing the ball with a crow hop and firing it back right at me. I started doing the same and before I knew it, I could hear him huffing and puffing as he was getting a workout. It was pretty cool. It was like I was playing catch with the guys at the baseball league I played in a couple years ago. I can’t wait until his first practice on Sunday morning. Hopefully, the weather will hold.

8 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

I admire your courage for taking a shot at tables that I'd never dream of playing given my current bankroll.

However, the bankroll management side of me cringes.

I think sitting down with less than a full buy-in at a table invites disaster. By not having enough chips, you give people odds to chase by getting it all in early in the hand.

That being said, you played well and you got unlucky. That's why we have bankrolls: to absorb the hits brought on by variance.

Come back to Interpoker - no bad beats there! ;)

Have a great weekend! Continue playing your game and you'll be fine.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hah! "No bad beats" at Interpoker. Yah right!

Anyways Chris, for the record that is One Fuggly Ass Beat. I have always hated those "counterfeiting" bad beats, where you lose without your opponent even hitting the one card he really needs to outdraw you. Infuriating.

Maybe it's National Suckout Week and not just one day. That would explain the WWdN this past Tuesday as well, wouldn't it?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Listen, stop playing over your bankroll, I only make money if you last long long time.. heh. Better luck tomorrow man. The games on FT are beatable. Just need to not play where variance is going to knock you out in a day.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger jjok said...

I don't see any problem buying short into a cash game.....I actually did it last night successfully at a 6-max $1/$2 table on FT.

The conterfeit hand totally sucks, and it seems to happen alot.

SNG's on Full Tilt....I've played about 30 or so 9-man's on FT and I think they are pretty soft-tight (nonturbos). With a pretty sound strategy, they can be pretty profitable. However, they seem to be a little more time-consuming than I like.....

The beats suck.....god they suck.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

I don't see anything wrong with what you did here, but allow me to present an alternative way to play the AK hand.

You are going to be first to act after the flop. If you know pre-flop that you are willing to commit to raising your opponent's entire stack to see all five cards, and you don't think he will fold without at least seeing a flop, then I would suggest just calling his $7 bet and pushing on the flop regardless of what hits. I wouldn't condsider him pot committed with that bet in a cash game, though that may be debatable.

Regardless, this gives you two ways to win instead of one: 1) You have the best hand when the dust clears or 2) He folds to your push on the flop. Just some food for thought in case you run into this kind of situation again.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

I agree with everybody else, fugly bad beats, especially the counterfeit. Those particularly suck.

I like Matt's thought on the AK, don't necessarily push preflop. A lot of people tell you to play raise or fold poker. I don't know if I'd necessarily push immediately post flop. I've heard a couple of other bloggers talk about this, and I've seen it and done it while playing. If you've got the villain covered (and you do), put out a specific raise that would put him all in, without pushing yourself. A push on that flop tells me you want to scare everybody else off the pot, and not necessarily that you have the best hand. A raise that pointedly puts a player all in is a direct challenge: I've got the best hand and I've got you covered. I dare you to call.

Either way, you do with what you're comfortable with. I certainly don't claim to know what I'm doing, but that's one observation I have made. Good luck with the weekend. See ya on the felt.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger surflexus said...

Dude!!!! Read your post and correct what you already said you did differently from Mow. I've watched him hit and run these tables too many times to count.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

hehe, you guys love the whiney bad beat posts...Matt, Hoff, not a terrible idea here, especially since I hate AK, but that was why I did what I did. I wanted him to fold, and actually thought he might if I put him in. Betting exactly what he had left may have been a good psychological move, but this guy was staying. He clearly should not have been calling my re-raise.

George, I think what you are saying was, I should have been out at $70. I couldn't agree more. KJ was going to rail why I gave this a shot but he had to log off before I got to it. He would have set me straight I am sure but it all happened so fast! My own fault for getting greedy. I mean, why the hell am I even in a hand with q9 sooted anyway?? Bahh.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?