Wednesday, March 29, 2006

WWdN


It is late and I should be sleeping but I got finished with the WWdN and couldn't sleep right away.

Ok, I am not going to whine. I keep telling myself, I am not going to whine. If you have read any of my past posts about the WWdN, you know that I have low expectations going in. I play this, and other blogger events to meet new people and have some fun.

I got home at 8:25 tonight after picking up my son at baseball after work. I ended up registering with about 2 minutes to spare and basically folded through the first couple levels while I ate a quick dinner.

I then started picking up some cards and my stack was growing. My goal of reaching the final table was in sight if I just played ok and didn’t do anything too stupid. I ended up picking up some read good hands and busting out a few people. When I got to the final table, I had a slight lead over Jaxia, but the table was full of great players. I knew it was going to be a struggle for me, but the smaller stacks just started to knock each other around while I was able to grab some blinds and keep my stack healthy.

I started getting some really nice cards when we were down to about 5 left and I ended up knocked out a couple more. I couldn’t believe that I had made the final table, let alone having the big stack, and keeping it as it got down to the final 2. I was heads up against heffmike (anyone have his blog?, sorry) but a 3-1 lead in chips.

I don’t remember all the details but I put in a few marginal raises and let heffmike chip away at my stack with some well placed re-raises back at me. He played very well with the short stack.

Finally, we were only separated by about 900 in chips and I had A6o. I raised it and he re-raised me. He had done it a few times when I couldn’t push, but took a shot at it this time. I was up against K10o so I looked ok. If I win the hand, the thing is basically over and I win. If I lose, I am out and come in second, squandering my huge lead.

The flop comes down and I hit top pair with my Ace. I think I actually raised my arms overhead feeling pretty good. I mean, he needed to go runner runner to take me out. Umm…guess what. The turn and river were both freaking 10’s and I lose. WTF!!!

Ok, my hand now hurts from the wall I just punched. Anyway, it was a coinflip to start, and I shouldn’t have been in that position anyway. I did suck that I had him dead but that’s the game. Not much you can do. Heffmike played a great game and I congratulate him on the win.

I was very happy with the way I played too. Like I said, I never have high expectations going in to these things, so for me to grab second was great.

I appreciate all the support from KJ, George, Jordan, Kat, Hoyazo, Dave, Matt, and anyone else who offered me their support. It was a lot of fun.

7 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Jimmy said...

Congrats!! Hopefully next time the cards fall your way. Very good job though.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

Great job!

Jebus - 2nd place against the bloggers...nice!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Great play last night, Chris. That suggout at the end was the titz man, seriously. In my view, you won that thing. How about that to make you feel all better?

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Chris! That was a strong field.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Wow, nice finish man! I find it very fitting for the evening that the winning hand was a runner runner suckout. I saw so many!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I was cheering against you.. and the only reason Kat was cheering for you was because Heffalumpa knocked her out..

Just kidding! Great Job man! No shame in second!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Thanks everyone. It was a lot of fun until that last card. Even still, I got further than I ever thought so it was cool.

I agree Sir, no shame in second. I outlasted some tough players and am real happy about it. I'll be even happier, of course, when my hand heals and I fix the hole in the wall ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?