Monday, July 21, 2008

Vegas Trip Report-Part 3

So I left off the trip report just after we left Sapphire to meet up with Don and Carmen. We started to stragger down the strip from about the Circus Circus area, but I quickly realized we were running late, so jumped in a cab to get us to our meeting spot.

We met up at Diablo's Cantina in front of the Monte Carlo. My buddy, who had met Carmen a year or 2 ago quickly, forgot who we were meeting. I was like, there they are, and he was like, damn, who is THAT? Always hot and fun to catch up with, we settled down with our margaritas (had to at this place) and had some good grub, while we talked about the goings on since the last time I was in town. Guys, it is always a pleasure to see you both. Carmen, glad you are doing great with your recovery, and Don, glad you are still living the life to envy. Both of you, keep it up and I will see you in oh, about 48 days, but who's counting right?

Btw, the food was great there. I think anything would have been good after drinking jack on the rocks all day with no food whatsoever, but Carmen being the sober one in the bunch agreed, and even went back again with her friends a week or 2 later I think.

We ended up parting ways, with Carmen working the next morning and Don off to legally rob the tourists. We walked back toward the Flamingo and ended up gambling a little here and there for the rest of the night. Nothing too special or memorable to report there.

The next day saw us attack the south end of the strip. Being our last full day in town, we wanted to get in as much as we could and started out with a quick breakfast and then hit Caesars, Bellagio, then the Monte Carlo. Each place we played a little video poker, and get a little hot in the pit at the Monte Carlo. Of course, the fire alarm went off while we were there and the dealers just made jokes, since it was about a month or so after the fire there. Noone seemed to take it seriously, which was interesting, but at least we were in easy exit distance in case it turned out not to be a drill.

Anyway, by the time we left there it was early afternoon and we went over to NYNY to start drinking it up and throwing more money away. After a little more craps, we ended up at Excalibur playing more video poker at the bar. Again, nothing too memorable in that, but by the time we were done with that it was about 4pm and we decided to walk over to Planet Hollywood and have some grub at PF Chang's. Always a dependable meal, we shot out of there and started thinking about what to do for the night.

We ended up nixing the original idea of a strip club in favor of heading over to the Rio to check out the Voodoo Lounge for the first time. We got there a little early, about 9:30pm I guess, and it was understandably dead. We grabbed a couple $12 drinks and checked out the view of the strip. It felt pretty gay, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it would have been a better time with the wife I guess. Anyway, we stuck it out there until all the fat, bald guys who were in town for conferences started showing up. By the time we left, it was about a complete sausage fest, with a ratio of about 40 guys to 1 girl. Good times.

We went downstairs and decided it would be a good thing to get more food. We went to RUB, which is a great barbeque place in the Rio. The food was great, although we both left a ton. At this point, it was about 11:30pm and after watching the show they do there, we went down and decided to try a little more video poker. We grabbed couple seats in a jackpot bank of machines and I threw in a $100, playing $.25 double double bonus. On the second hand I get dealt 4 diamonds, with 3 royal cards. I chuck the 4th diamond and the other card and BINGO, another royal. No bells, lights or anything flashing this time. It just said, "Jackpot, call attendant". I couldn't believe it. The jackpot was only about $45 more than the starting point, but still. After 2 hands, I won another $1045 and I was a happy guy.

I gave back about $300 playing craps, blackjack, and 3 card poker, but still a great time. We got up the next morning and had breakfast at the place in Planet Hollywood. I think it is the Daily Planet or something like that. Anyway, it was good, but we were off to catch the flight home about an hour later.

All in all, I went home with all the cash I left with, plus the cost of my trip. A huge success in my book. I can't wait until September. The conference I am going to is at the Bellagio, which will make it a lot better than last year's conference. It was at the Red Rock, which was a beautiful place, but so far away. Since I will be at the Bellagio, I can still attend everything I need to for work, while not missing anything that my buddies decide to do while in town.

That's all I have. Happy Monday.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?