Wednesday, May 24, 2006

MFFPS!!! IHYADYFPOS!!

To give proper credit, the above is a quote from Hoyazo's Uberpost from Monday, May 22nd. The permission to use said quote was requested and granted. You may want to find it for yourself in that post for more details.

Terrible night for me at the tables. I started off donking out early in the WWdN. I gorget exactly where, but it was early. I made a flush and failed to get paid off. The next hand I get pocket Jacks and raise it up 4xBB. I get one caller. I make a continuation bet on the Q high board and it was called. I check the turn, another Q, and he gets out a nice amount. I have to lay it down leaving me shortstacked. A little while later, I get pocket 3s and push and called by 2 high cards. I hit the set on the flop but she rivers the straight and I am out. I would have busted on the hand even if I limped most likely, although a stop and go might have knocked her off the draw. Hmm, food for thought.

I am swearing off the NL cash games for a while too. I just can’t seem to get it right. I guess I am just a donkey. Since I am not enjoying it at all, I can’t keep pushing it. This is how I played this and I clearly should have been able to get away from this hand, but I felt like I had a lot in the pot. When he bet then re-raised on the turn though, I really did know I was beat. He thought forever on the flop bet though, so I had him on AQ when I raised his small flop bet. I guess I should have just called it huh? Actually, I probably should never have been in the hand to begin with. Why can’t this every happen to me? Help in comments please?


> PokerStars Game #5034208179: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2006/05/23 - 23:38:35 (ET)
> Table 'Argelander' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
> Seat 1: drewspop ($48.90 in chips)
> Seat 2: mrshovels2u ($39.70 in chips)
> Seat 3: Flippo4 ($93.65 in chips)
> Seat 4: bbrad24 ($92.20 in chips)
> Seat 5: ultraman2 ($34.40 in chips)
> Seat 6: Betalot ($55.70 in chips)
> Seat 8: 50/100 ($70.25 in chips)
> Seat 9: dredeezy ($84.35 in chips)
> bbrad24: posts small blind $0.50
> ultraman2: posts big blind $1
> GIDDY UP 9: sits out
> *** HOLE CARDS ***
> Dealt to drewspop [Qh 8h]
> Betalot: folds
> 50/100: calls $1
> dredeezy: calls $1
> drewspop: calls $1
> GIDDY UP 9 is sitting out
> mrshovels2u: folds
> Flippo4: folds
> bbrad24: folds
> ultraman2: checks
> *** FLOP *** [3h Qs 8c]
> ultraman2: checks
> GIDDY UP 9 has returned
> 50/100: bets $3
> dredeezy: folds
> drewspop: raises $7 to $10
> ultraman2: folds
> 50/100: calls $7
> *** TURN *** [3h Qs 8c] [Js]
> 50/100: bets $3
> drewspop: raises $13 to $16
> 50/100: raises $13 to $29
> drewspop: calls $13
> *** RIVER *** [3h Qs 8c Js] [Jd]
> 50/100: bets $13
> drewspop: calls $8.90 and is all-in
> *** SHOW DOWN ***
> 50/100: shows [Jh Qc] (a full house, Jacks full of Queens)
> drewspop: shows [Qh 8h] (two pair, Queens and Jacks)
> 50/100 collected $97.30 from pot
> *** SUMMARY ***
> Total pot $100.30 | Rake $3
> Board [3h Qs 8c Js Jd]
> Seat 1: drewspop showed [Qh 8h] and lost with two pair, Queens and Jacks
> Seat 2: mrshovels2u folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 3: Flippo4 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 4: bbrad24 (small blind) folded before Flop
> Seat 5: ultraman2 (big blind) folded on the Flop
> Seat 6: Betalot folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 8: 50/100 showed [Jh Qc] and won ($97.30) with a full house, Jacks full of Queens
> Seat 9: dredeezy folded on the Flop


I finished the night in a $4 180 SNG and was doing ok. I got down to 27 left when this hand happened. I was getting shortstacked and couldn’t have played this any differently, but this was my night. I asked Hoyazo if I could use his Poker Stars catch phrase after this one.

> PokerStars Game #5033928751: Tournament #25262694, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2006/05/23 - 23:16:27 (ET)
> Table '25262694 14' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
> Seat 1: BOOCHES (16858 in chips)
> Seat 2: frogbird pkr (2728 in chips)
> Seat 3: Ghislain3 (11562 in chips)
> Seat 4: legg12 (10626 in chips)
> Seat 5: ChauSingSing (12557 in chips)
> Seat 6: TheRecovery (4953 in chips)
> Seat 7: drewspop (2477 in chips)
> Seat 8: Swiitch (4426 in chips)
> Seat 9: con-doritaus (6457 in chips)
> BOOCHES: posts the ante 25
> frogbird pkr: posts the ante 25
> Ghislain3: posts the ante 25
> legg12: posts the ante 25
> ChauSingSing: posts the ante 25
> TheRecovery: posts the ante 25
> drewspop: posts the ante 25
> Swiitch: posts the ante 25
> con-doritaus: posts the ante 25
> BOOCHES: posts small blind 200
> frogbird pkr: posts big blind 400
> *** HOLE CARDS ***
> Dealt to drewspop [Js Ks]
> Ghislain3: folds
> legg12: calls 400
> ChauSingSing: folds
> TheRecovery: folds
> drewspop: calls 400
> Swiitch: folds
> con-doritaus: calls 400
> BOOCHES: calls 200
> frogbird pkr: checks
> *** FLOP *** [8s 4s Kd]
> BOOCHES: checks
> frogbird pkr: checks
> legg12: checks
> drewspop: bets 2052 and is all-in
> con-doritaus: folds
> BOOCHES: calls 2052
> frogbird pkr: folds
> legg12: folds
> *** TURN *** [8s 4s Kd] [8c]
> *** RIVER *** [8s 4s Kd 8c] [5c]
> drewspop said, "haha"
> *** SHOW DOWN ***
> BOOCHES: shows [8h 6h] (three of a kind, Eights)
> drewspop: shows [Js Ks] (two pair, Kings and Eights)
> drewspop said, "of course"
> BOOCHES collected 6329 from pot
> iamhoff [observer] said, "dam"
> *** SUMMARY ***
> Total pot 6329 | Rake 0
> Board [8s 4s Kd 8c 5c]
> Seat 1: BOOCHES (small blind) showed [8h 6h] and won (6329) with three of a kind, Eights
> Seat 2: frogbird pkr (big blind) folded on the Flop
> Seat 3: Ghislain3 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 4: legg12 folded on the Flop
> Seat 5: ChauSingSing folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 6: TheRecovery folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 7: drewspop showed [Js Ks] and lost with two pair, Kings and Eights
> Seat 8: Swiitch folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 9: con-doritaus (button) folded on the Flop

Ok, sorry for the hand histories and the whiney bitching. Congrats out to smokkee for taking down the WWdN last night. Also a great run to the final table by Miami Don, who I will be slinging chips with in less than a week now.

See all the cool kids at the Mookie tonight. Remember, 10pm EST.

9 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

you played the first hand fine until the turn came. once you reraised his turn bet, you got yourself committed. a 3x reraise would've told you where you stand. it's hard to laydown two pair but, there was also a possible straight on the board. that guy really had no business calling your flop bet, too many hands have him dominated. he just got lucky. in that second hand, you just ran into a donk. no idea how he calls your all in with middle pair and a 6 kicker. that flop hit you hard. he had a big stack but, cmon he's begging to double you up there.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

drewspop -

Only advice I can give is to not play Q8s. The problem with playing that type of hand is that even if you hit your hand, it's not that hard to end up behind by the river.

However, having played it, your play on the flop is fine. However, when your opponent calls your re-raise on the flop then re-raises your turn raise, you're most likely behind to a set or a straight.

It's hard to lay down two pair. When your opponent bets $3 into a $23 pot on the turn, he's either really weak or really strong. Since you showed a lot of strenght on the flop, I'd lean towards folding the hand and saving any further investment.

That being said...honestly, I would've gone broke on the hand as well.

Just remember that it's a lot easier to recoup an $11 loss than a $50 loss.

I'm sorry you got stacked...it sucks...but you'll get it back.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

I showed up just in time to see that. Don't worry, my night sucked too. Das Poker. Wish I was playing in the Mookie tonight, but I've got the GF on tilt, so no poker. GL man.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

I think I used that phrase two or three times last night. I've never been kicked in the junk so many times in my life. It must've just been that kind of day.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Chris, I find it interesting that you got pounded with two starting hands that I would not have played. First off, the Q8s is simply not something I would ever play except in the rare circumstances where I don't care what my two hole cards are -- say it is folded around to me in the SB, and I know I'm going to steal-raise no matter what I have. Otherwise, as the other commenters have pointed out, it's much easier than it seems to find yourself beaten, if not dominated, with these types of hands. Personally I feel the same way about KJ, which is another easily-dominated hand where you can only really feel comfortable if the flop is AQT rainbow. Otherwise you can be screwed.

And I don't put much stock in someone claiming they would have laid down top two pairs in the situation you were in on the flop with the Q8 hand. I don't think you should have played that hand at all, but given that you did, I agree with Smokkee that you played it just right from there.

I just always have a thing when someone starts off a bad beat story with "So I was playing Q8 sooted...." If you really want to donk around with hands like that, then I prefer a low-buyin MTT or sng structure, where when you inevitably lose with such a hand, you're only losing your $10 buyin or whatever it is, instead of losing like $50 or $100. To me, there is no worse feeling than losing a lot of dollars (not chips like in an MTT, but actual dollars) in a cash game to a donkass like this. But don't play Q8 anymore in cash games man, that's definitely a -EV play unless you are really, really strong (and lucky) post-flop.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

not to beat a dead horse but, re-read my answer to Tripjax 1st question:

http://smokkee.blogspot.com/2006/05/answers-to-tripjax-questions-1.html

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Thanks guys. All good points. I never, ever play that kind of crap either. I have learned my lesson once again. Wonder if I will ever get it right.

In the meantime, I am out of the cash NL games.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

ya, i don't really like playing cash games much. too much at risk.

nice job in last night's mook'. that's a tuf field.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger mookie99 said...

Nice job last night, you are running good leading up to the Vegas trip.

Will you be able to blog while you are out there ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?