Friday, August 04, 2006

TGIF

First off, thanks to everyone that stopped by and to everyone that left a comment on yesterday’s meandering post. Again, I wasn’t expecting that to be what I wrote about yesterday, but I am glad it evolved from a “whiney, poor me” post, to a “I appreciate what I have” post.

The word of encouragement and understanding are great to read and I would expect nothing else from this community. Especially from jjok who hit me up on the yahoo girly chat last night (paraphrased a bit prolly):

jjok: WHAA WHAA, I am out of shape
jjok: WHAA WHAA, I hate my job
jjok: WHAA WHAA, I can’t play poker
jjok: But I have time for 2 45 SNGs tonight

What can you say with friends like that eh?

So yes, I do have a little bit of poker content today. Once we got home from practice last night, I decided to knock out another 45 SNG for the challenge. We are all still chasing Johnny Mac, although he jumped out to the early lead and has faltered lately, given everyone a chance to catch him. So far, not luck.

I was hoping that one SNG would be enough to get me a few more points and hit the sack. Unfortunately, I went out 11th. I was short stacked throughout this one, but managed to double up and pick up some more chips with pocket Qs. When we were down to 11 left, I was in 7th place and without huge risks, I probably could have made one of the last cash positions. Instead, I decided to make a move against a big stack who had been calling down everything. With 5 left at our table, including one who was sitting out, I raised it up 4xBB with KQ. Big stack calls my raise and the flop comes A K x. Big stack leads out with 1K into the pot of about 2K. I was on the girly chat with Pres Dave and told him I thought he probably had a bare Ace but rather than lay it down, or push, I called, Nice play dumbass. I only had 2800 or so left anyway, so I didn’t think he would lay it down if I did push, but since I thought I was beat, I should have waiting for a better spot. The blinds were still only at 100/200 with 25 antes so with a stack of 2800 I still had plenty of time. Instead, I called off the rest of my stack on the turn and IGHN when he shows down his A10. Just plain stupid.

Now all frothed up, I jumped into a $6 turbo. Nothing too memorable other than chasing a flush draw early in a big pot and great odds. Unfortunately, I did hit and my stack was cut in half quickly. I hung on until 18th I think and pushed with A5 and was called by Q10. He hit his 10, I typed “lame call” into the chat box, like a little donkey bitch, and I was done.

By this time, it was 11:30 or so and I knew I had to sleep but rather than give it up, I hit up a PL Omaha table. I managed to win back what I had paid out in the SNGs in about 15 minutes and finally turned off the electric crack machine.

In bed by midnight, up at 5am. The boss is out of the office today, so being the sneaky bastard that I am, I did my run this morning and am on my normal train in to work, probably for the last time in a long time. It was nice to get my run in this morning because it is really hard to get it in after practice. It is just too late by the time I get home. I did get my run up to the 3.5 miles that the run will be in the sprint tri this morning, for the first time since I got back at it. Yeah, a whole week back at it. Anyway, I was slow but I finished it up. Tomorrow I am going to do the 10 miles on the bike and then on Sunday, I am going to try and do the bike and at least half of the run back to back. What I really need to do is get in a pool, so I may end up doing that if I can find the time.

Yesterday was my first practice as one of the coaches. It was kinda weird, since I don’t know a lot about football when it comes down to it. The gaps and all that are something that you don’t know unless you have played before. Anyway, it was good because we ended up teaching the gaps to all the kids yesterday. I am a quick learner, haha.

This week is basically running drills. In Pop Warner, you have to get the kids 10 hours of conditioning before you can put the pads on and start the hitting. With the practice on Wednesday being cancelled because of the heat, we are practicing Saturday morning now. The plan is to get my son to the barber for his Mohawk (oh yeah, all the cool football kids get one every year), then to practice from 9-11, some yard work in the early afternoon, then my wife and I are getting out for a later lunch/early dinner. It is our 12th anniversary tomorrow. Man, how time flies. Unfortunately, it is also my cousin’s 30th birthday and we are going to a party for him on a boat tomorrow night, so that is why we are getting out a little early. The town I live in is a great place to live during the summer, as long as you don’t mind the tourist looking for the Plymouth Pebble, or the Pilgrims. Being a poker player, how could I mind being surrounded by tourist right? Anyway, we are going to hit up one of the many nice restaurants on the Plymouth Harbor for a few drinks and some grub. I am looking forward to it.

That’s it for me. I am going to try and continue to write up my posts on the train in the morning so work doesn’t get in the way. There is nothing but doom and gloom in the newspaper anyway. Good luck at the tables this weekend. If you see me on the girly chat on yahoo, hit me up and drag me to a table.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

You barely look old enough to have kids, let alone old enough to be having a 12th anniversary. Anyway, have a good time tomorrow night!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Poker Jones said...

Perspective/priorities in busy lives is a tricky thing. This blog is as good a vehicle as any for thinking aloud. You know when you're in the weeds, the community is there to pick you up. (Coaching is tremendous stuff. Wouldn't trade it for anything.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?