Friday, August 11, 2006

Some Housecleaning Items

Since my brief poker night sucked last night, going out quickly in 2 45 SNGs, I figured I would go in a different direction today. Some random items that I have mentioned before that need some updates. Oh yeah, I know you were wondering so…

The job discussion got moved to next week. The main person I need to talk to was out this week so next Wednesday afternoon, I will be meeting with 4 people in the afternoon. I must be living right because I found out that my current boss is working out of NY that day so I won’t even have to use some lame excuse for leaving early.

My triathlon training has severely stalled for a number or reason. The most obvious is the fact that I get up at 5am to get to work on time now and then I get home at 8:30pm each night. Another good reason for my slackishness is that I got rejected. Actually, we all did. Myself, my wife and my sister. We sent our entries in too late apparently because they filled it up. What the hell is this world coming to when 850 people are so damn committed to swimming in frigid water and killing themselves on their bikes and runs that they actually sign up well in advance? Anyway, I am really sick of being a lump of shit so I am looking at one on September 24th now instead. I figure if I look long enough, it might fill up too. Anyway, the reason I haven’t signed up yet is because we are going to a concert the night before and I wonder what shape I will be in. Oh yeah, Journey and Def Leppard baby! There are about 20 of us ready to return to our high school days for a night. I haven’t been to a concert in a while but it will be a blast.

The kid’s feet are doing much better. If you have sore feet, “Are you gellin’?” He was loafing around practice yesterday but it didn’t have anything to do with his feet. He had a friend sleep over the night before and they, of course, were up all night. He got run over in a tackling drill by a little, powerful back, but picked it up a little bit after that. We’ll see how today’s practice goes.

What else? I guess that is it for the updates on things I have mentioned before. My middle son, who is 5, is going to be a water boy for the football team. It is pretty funny because he is a tough little dude already, and by the time he is 7, he is going to be just like Bobby Boo-Shay.

Speaking of football, I am putting the over/under on 3 of how many kids quit because they don’t like to hit. I am not a Neanderthal who thinks these kids should be doing the Ray Lewis or anything but we have a couple kids that are deathly afraid of contact. I had to switch up the lines a couple times, and softly threaten others, because of some of our weaker players. It was almost laughable watching these 2 in particular who we had to keep matching up because anyone else on the team would kill them. I swear they looked like they were dancing a slow dance at the 7th grade prom or something. This was every time they went through the tackling drill. Obviously, we can’t shelter them forever because the others teams will end up hurting them. Yesterday, we ended up having some of the middle talent kids against some of the lower talent kids and had 2 or 3 in tears at one point or another. Ugh.

Ok, some actual poker content here. Well kinda at least. I haven’t been able to play in the bar league lately because of football. That won’t change until at least September, based on what nights we practice during the season. I did, however, win a monthly tourney a couple months back that qualified me for the semi-annual tourney. The top 16 finishers in that one are invited to the state finals early next year. That was how I got to the nationals last year (sorry for the uber-ghey self link, but check out that pic;). Well, the semi-annual is tomorrow and I was toying with skipping it. Mostly because I feel like I haven’t seen my youngest 2 all week, and it is being held about an hour away from my house. Only 1 of my buddies has also qualified. On Wednesday night, I want out to the APL site and looked at the invite list. There are only 46 people on the list, and I know of a few that aren’t going for sure. I doubt I will be playing nearly as much as I have in the past for the rest of this year, so this might very well be the last chance I will have to qualify for the state tourney. The clincher though, is the fact that there is actually a $1,000 prize pool added to the tourney, courtesy of Doyle’s Room. Doyle’s is a big sponsor now and they are pay out the top 20 spots with online cash to DR. 1st gets $250 and on down from there. I can’t pass up a $1K freeroll with good conscience. I will just make it up to the kiddies on Sunday. Oh, and since I am already going to that, one of other guys that comes to my tourney’s is having one of his own tomorrow night that it looks like I will be going to.

Wish me some luck and have a great weekend.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger jjok said...

It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.


I say put the best up against the worst.......there's no crying in football.

OTSS - Only the Strong Survive!


Now pass me the Doritos while I mash the buttons.....

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

Hope the concert was good. I saw the uber-romantic rock trifecta a couple of years ago, courtesy of GF (REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Journey), and Journey was actually really good. But a couple of months ago I saw Def Leppard and it truly was one of the top 5 concerts I've been to. They put on an amazing show, and I hope the one you saw ranked up there. Good luck with the j-o-b situation. And you are a crazy mofo for thinking triathalon. You are a better man than I, gunga din.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?