Wednesday, February 22, 2006

New love or just a steamy affair? PL Omaha Hi/Lo

Omaha hi/lo is my new favorite game for clearing bonus. Since I have recently changed my focus to bonus whoring to build the bankroll, learning this game has really helped. After pimping Klopzi on Interpoker, I had $100 bonus to clear by playing 500 raked hands. The rake, however, has to be over $1 to get a full point toward the 500. Any rake that is between $.25-$.99 is worth a quarter of a point.

I was playing the crappy fixed limit tables and making no progress at all. Then I railed a PL Omaha Hi/Lo game and saw the big pots that were being generated by all the donks. I read up a little bit and jumped in with extreme caution. Unless I had pocket As or Ks or A2 and other connected cards, I just bailed and let everyone beat the crap out of each other.

I really don’t have any idea what I am doing to be honest. If anyone can send me some good resources on PL Omaha Hi/Lo strategy, I would really appreciate it.

What I really notice is that once I clear the bonus, I don’t know how much I would want to play this game. The house must love it because it seems that most pots that showdown are chopped and the house is the only winner with the rake anyway. I have cleared about 280 hands in about 6 hours of play and I am down about $5 total. I got a little frisky last night and jumped into a $10+$1 SNG and got smoked. Again, I have no idea about strategy in this game, so I have a ton to learn. Send me your help if you would be so kind.

5 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Klopzi said...

If you're playing Omaha Hi/Lo, you're going to want to play hands that have a good chance of scooping the entire pot.

I think you'll run into donks playing only for the high or only for the low and it's these players that you'll punish.

A good resource for Omaha Hi/Lo is Brunson's Super System II. You can pick it up pretty cheap from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com.

I guarantee that if you read it, you will be so far ahead of most players that you'll show a profit.

And keep in mind that being down $5 after 6 hours of play is not bad. At that rate, you clear your $100 bonus down $10, but still up $90. Not too shabby...and then get started on clearing the March reload bonus when it comes out.

So - SS2 is the book for you. Just read the section on Omaha Hi/Lo. There is also a section on Omaha Hi as well.

I'll keep an eye out for you at Interpoker. We've been on at different times, but I'll keep looking.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

Hi/Lo has kicked my ass the few times I tried it. PLO is fine, in and of itself, but I'm not experienced enough to play Hi/Lo without losing track of what's going on. What were the blind levels on the ring game you tried?

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Klopzi, I've been checking the $1/$2 tables and the $25 NL tables for you. I usually play after 8pm on weeknights for a couple hours. I will grab SS2. A buddy of mine has it. Thanks.

Hoff, I've been playing the 15c/25c PL Hi/Lo. Mostly 2 tabling because I am being extremely cautious and really just for the raked hands. Sometimes the hands average $5 pots while other times, over $20. It is very interesting.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Klopzi said...

I found an online Omaha Hi/Lo simulator where you can rate hands against each other and up to 4 other players.

You can find it here.

I was actually thinking of giving the NL tables a quick try at Interpoker tonight, if I get the chance. I just want to see how they compare and I'd like to see how quickly I can clear bonuses.

I should be on tonight for sure. I'll keep an eye out for you.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Poker4peace said...

I played my first game of Omaha H/L back in December of last year and posted a couple of comments to my introduction to this game. I received several good pointers from others you can find in the archives. Omaha NL H/L is my game of choice these days.

I was confused in the beginning and then one day the game just sunk in and I understood what I was doing. I personally enjoyed the chapter on Omaha in Brunson's book "Super System 2". Best to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?