Monday, May 15, 2006

Poker Exploits

Well, it was an ugly weekend really. I have been playing pretty poorly and creating my own bad luck in the process.

Over the course of the weekend, I managed to donk off my paltry bankroll at Full Tilt. I tried a few token SNGs and came close a couple times, but couldn't finish it off. I was hoping to win a few and give the bracelet tourneys or nightly guarantees a shot. It was horrendous. I would either just play like crap, or play ok, get to the bubble, take my shot, and bubble, or cash in the last paying spot, which doesn't get the token.

I was on yahoo chat while Sox, Weak, Kat, Surf, Gracie, and Drizz were on Saturday night. Sox and Weak were playing Razz and everyone else was getting ready for the 18K guarantee, which started at 10pm. I was on the fence on whether to buy in directly to the 18K, plus wifey was watching a movie and I wasn't sure if I should jump in or not. She didn't have a problem with it, but I was a minute too late in trying to register and missed out. Kat managed to go deep. Nice job Kat!

Instead of just packing it in, like I should have, I got Hoyazo to get into a 45 SNG with me on Stars. I managed to catch big slick twice in a row very early. I lost big chunks with both and was out in 44th place. Very nice, well played sir.

I was getting frustrated and then let the almighty, awfuckkits get to me. I had been wanting to give Razz a shot. I don't have a great handle (oh, I am clueless) on how to play, but figured I would just give it a shot anyway. I did play for a couple hours, but also did manage to lose about $50. Sweet, no mo money on FT.

Last night, I jumped onto Stars to try and strike it rich with their 5 billion hand promo. Since you have to be seated at a cash game, I played some fixed limit HE. I ended up winning about $30 in a little over an hour, which was cool. I also played a $4 180 SNG and was going pretty well when I got sucked out on and went out in 46th place.

It was around 7:30pm at that point, and since the wife was out, and the kids were all down, I jumped into the 7:45pm $10+1. I got Surf to go along for the ride too and we agreed to trade 25% (I know, he was the one that asked, I wouldn't have if I was him either, what was he thinking!?). It started out with 1491 of our closest friends. I was glad to be trading with Surf for a couple reasons. One, the obvious, he has been running ridiculously hot lately. Second, I knew it would help my concentration knowing that I was possibly impacting someone else also.

I was playing ok and bounced a couple reads off of Surf. Made a good call, with his approval, on a push by a short stack who missed the flop when I hit middle pair, top kicker and was healthy at that point. Unfortunately, when it was down to about 350 or so, I had ducks on the button and it was folded to me. I limped, which was stupid, and the SB folded and the BB checked. The flop came down 10 10 6 and I think I bet out about half the pot. He bumped it up, and with my stack, it was push or fold time. I had put about 40% of my stack in at that point anyway, and if I was going anywhere in the tourney, I thought I had to push and pray. Surf kinds sorta agreed, although he said after he wouldn't have played the hand. I shouldn't have, as the BB had flopped a full house. I was drawing dead after the flop. Nice read jackass. (Me, not surf)

I still had Surf to rail however. He, as usual, was playing great and breezed into the money with the top 135 being paid. Unfortunately, the blinds got to him before the good cards did and he ended up going out on the top 40 somewhere around 38th or 39th I think. Thanks for winning me my money back G.

Anyway, overall, not a great weekend of poker for me. Not disasterous but I think I need a new challenge to keep me focused. I have started and stopped so many challenges that I try myself that I feel like I need to involve others to keep me on the right track. I will be thinking of something to put out there. If you have any suggestions and want to join in, let me know. Have a good day all. Now go read some good blogs over to the right.

4 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger katitude said...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat more with you ... I was trying an experiment on Saturday night of **concentrating** on my game....lol what a concept! TY for the railbirding tho...makes all the difference.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

Bummer on the weekend. It seems as tho it was a bloodbath kind of weekend. All I can claim is 2nd in a 6 max SNG and a $26 token, both on Tilt. Wish I could've been around Saturday evening (night out with the GF, don'tcha know), but so it goes. Take a deep breath, clear your head, and focus on your game. Kat had a great post on that today. I'll try anything.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Joe (aka Unimpressed) said...

I'm with you. I blew my entire FTP stack on some serious donkey moves. I've got a few more bucks in there now, so will try to bump that up and some micro cash games.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Rory Cartwright said...

nice blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?