Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Some Red Sox talk

So the Red Sox are finally rounding out their team for 2006. The major addition from last week being, of course, Coco Crisp. Wow, that is quite a name. I heard about the trade while I was in the hotel in Disney World last week. I told my wife who we got and my 8 year old says, "I thought we only had apple jacks? When did we get cocoa crispies?"

Anyway, everyone here in Boston likes the trade, mostly because they didn't have to give up any of the prized young pitchers. We also get a young guy who is supposed to be a real great player. The doom and gloom around here was getting pretty bad after Damon was gone and it took so long to find a replacement. Looks like the patience may pay off. It also looks like the team is ready to sign Alex Gonzalez to play shortstop for this year. Now all they have to do is figure out what they are going to do with 7 starting pitchers. Can't wait though, 18 days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training.

Last thing related to the Sox (tangentially). The morning after the trade we were in the airport to go home and I picked up the Orlando paper to see if they had any more details, reaction, etc. I scanned through it but there was nothing about it all so, knowing I wouldn't have a lot of time to read it anyway with 3 kids on a plane, I tossed it in the trash. We were waiting at the gate while a Chicago flight was boarding ahead of our flight. This guy comes by with a huge bag over his shoulder and almost knocks my youngest out of his stroller to get the paper out of the trash. As he looked up I mentioned that I had just put it in the trash so it was relatively clean, being my normal cheery self. The dude just looked at me and grunted something like "oh". I think I said, "I just grabbed it to see about the trade but there was nothing in it". He asked what trade so I said the Red Sox trade. He just looked at me, real smug and said "They're still playin?" and walked away with a little chuckle.

Now I won't get started on the history and tradition of the 2 teams as not to offend anyone but wtf. I was pretty happy for the While Sox when they won this year. But find me some stats on how many fans the Red Sox have vs the White Sox out of their respective cities and we can talk.

Ok, I probably have made absolutely no sense but I did want to mention that. It kinda pissed me off. Now I am better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?