Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The end of the run was bound to happen...

But Ugh. That was an ugly way to end a great run for the Pats. I guess I will sound like the typical Pats fan, that everyone hates, in saying that our team lost the game. The Broncos didn’t even come close to beating us.

Anyhoo, the game isn’t even worth going over. Bummer for us.

Congrats to all those Steeler fans out there. I am actually happy for them and hope they monkey stomp the Broncos next week. I just don’t think the Broncos deserve to still be in the playoffs while the Steelers went into Indy and kicked the crap out of the big chokemaster Manning. For anyone that watched the game, you know that even the ridiculous calls made by the referees couldn’t take the game from the Steelers. They looked great and I am happy they get a chance at the Super Bowl.

I actually had the best time ever watching the AFC championship game last year between the Pats and Steelers. It was easily the most memorable football game to watch for me, including the 3 Super Bowls we have won in the last 4 years.

There were 12 of us in Vegas for my buddy’s bachelor party. I was the best man so I had put the plans together for the trip months in advance. I had no idea that it was possible that the Pats would be playing that weekend. We left Boston on Friday morning and the original reservations were for a return trip at 4pm (7pm EST) on Sunday. It turned out that the game was going to be played at 6:30pm EST on that night. We all had to change our flights for the redeye so we wouldn’t miss it.

We got a crazy deal to stay at the Imperial Palace (IP). The roundtrip flight and 2 nights hotel for $285 each. We ended up watching the game right at the IP in a big room they have right next to the sports book. We walked in and couldn’t believe the atmosphere. There were about 300 people in there (my guess) and it was split down the middle with Pats and Steeler fans. There was no mistaking what team you were for either. EVERYONE had their “that guy” gear on. It was a sea of Black and Gold vs Red White and Blue. The terrible towels were waving like mad.

For those of you that know the IP, the place is kind of a dive, but real cheap and a great location. Well sticking to their cheap roots, in that room, they had hot dogs, burgers, nachos, etc for like $2 or $3. The best deal was the bucket of 6 bottled beers for $10. With that deal, by kickoff, everyone in the room was lubed up pretty well.

If you remember the game, the Pats came out smoking and got a nice lead but late in the game, the Steelers made a little run. The result was really never in jeopardy but the crowd went at each other with a vengeance. It was great. I can remember standing on a wooden railing pumping my drunk ass fist when the Pats scored at one point and seeing all my brethren doing the same. The Steelers fans that were sitting right in front of us were a little older but just as into the game. They had their towels and their annoying blinking Steeler logo hats going from the start.

The Steeler fans that were there that day earned some respect for the way they hung in until the end of the game. As rowdy and drunk induced as the action was that day, everyone left after the game with a respect for the other team, which I thought was really cool. That is why; I am really pulling for them to take it home.

Not something that I could ever say in the face of a series advance of the Evil Empire in NY.

On a sidenote, the wife didn't really like that game. Oh that's right, she missed that game because, while I was in Vegas (and 70 degrees in January), she was locked inside the house for 4 days with the kids, after a blizzard dropped 38 inches of snow on America's hometown. Ouch.

3 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Klopzi said...

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my site. And thank you for the link.

I haven't read the blog yet, but give me an hour and I'll know all there is to know.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

Hey, no problem, just found it today from Alan at Silent 4. Will be one of my daily reads I am sure. Thanks for posting my first comment too. I am almost certain you are the first to actually visit.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Klopzi said...

Sweet - I finally come in first at something! Now if I could only get this poker thing going...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?