Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Let me brag just a little bit…

I bombed out in the Mondays at the Hoy tourney about half way through. Not something to brag about.

I won a $10, 18 person SNG that I played with Jules, Kat, Hoy, and Drraz after the Hoy which kept me up until 2am like a dumbass. See picture and last hand history (DQB!) Not something to brag about.

I watched my kid pitch a complete game, 1 run, 1 walk Little League game yesterday in his first ever pitching appearance. Hella yeah, something to brag about!

The head coach (I am an assistant and coach first) told me on Sunday that he might use my son for an inning that day. We ended up winning pretty big and he gave someone else a shot instead. After the game, he told my son he would get him in at some point in Monday’s game instead. He was a little disappointed but could wait until the next day. He is the youngest kid on his team and had never pitched before on the season, but he had been in a pitching clinic earlier in the spring and wanted to give it a go.

He got to the field an hour before the game as scheduled, but I didn’t get there until a half hour before the game because of work. The coach told me that he had him throw a little and he was throwing about 90% strikes.

When he read out the lineup to the kids, he had my son starting the game! I had no idea he was going to start but I warmed him up and he was throwing strike after strike. He got out there and I think my wife and I were easily way more nervous than he was. He just got out there and started throwing.

At 9, he doesn’t have a ton of arm strength so his pitches weren’t all that fast, but man was he accurate. Like I said before, he only walked 1 kid all day, which you don’t see too often at that level. The game was over in an hour and 20 minutes. A very fast game for Little League. Not only did he pitch great but he made 4 plays on dribblers in front of the mound where he had to run in, grab it and fire to first. It was a ton of fun to watch. He holds his glove up like Clemens and Pettite do. You know, covering his face except for his eyes. As the game got going, he looked like Beckett as he pumped his fist after striking a kid out after coming back from a 3-0 count. He did that twice I think but overall, he was either ahead or they would hit the ball weakly somewhere.

It is amazing how fun it gets when the kids get to be that age. I do fear for what he will be like in 5 years from now, but I am enjoying the hell out of this season, watching him grow up and succeed. Btw, he went 2 for 3 with a walk, including a nice line drive up the middle to the center fielder.

*********************************

Ok, as for that SNG, here is the final hand. Jules was watching as I buried him. I love when the over bet works like a charm. Good times.

> *********** # 139 **************
> PokerStars Game #5239294111: Tournament #26376271, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2006/06/13 - 01:53:11 (ET)
> Table '26376271 1' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
> Seat 1: Cougaballa21 (9725 in chips)
> Seat 8: drewspop (17275 in chips)
> Cougaballa21: posts the ante 50
> drewspop: posts the ante 50
> Cougaballa21: posts small blind 300
> drewspop: posts big blind 600
> *** HOLE CARDS ***
> Dealt to drewspop [5h 4c]
> Cougaballa21: calls 300
> drewspop: checks
> *** FLOP *** [8s 5c 5s]
> drewspop: checks
> Cougaballa21: checks
> *** TURN *** [8s 5c 5s] [5d]
> drewspop: checks
> Cougaballa21: checks
> *** RIVER *** [8s 5c 5s 5d] [8h]
> drewspop: bets 3000
> Cougaballa21: raises 6075 to 9075 and is all-in
> drewspop: calls 6075
> *** SHOW DOWN ***
> Cougaballa21: shows [Ks 7d] (a full house, Fives full of Eights)
> drewspop: shows [5h 4c] (four of a kind, Fives)
> drraz [observer] said, "gg drews"
> Cougaballa21 is sitting out
> drewspop collected 19450 from pot
> louddwnunder [observer] said, "DQB!!!!!"
> *** SUMMARY ***
> Total pot 19450 | Rake 0
> Board [8s 5c 5s 5d 8h]
> Seat 1: Cougaballa21 (button) (small blind) showed [Ks 7d] and lost with a full house, Fives full of Eights
> Seat 8: drewspop (big blind) showed [5h 4c] and won (19450) with four of a kind, Fives

5 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

that's kewl. i loved little league. i played every position imaginable. couldn't hit for shit tho.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a pitcher you either got it or you don't and your son seems like he's got it. Arm strength will come, accuracy is a premium and demeanor in unteachable, perhaps the number #1 attribute in a pitcher.

Congrats on your boy.

BTW Beckett will always be a Marlin in my mind especially after he three hit the Yankees in Game Six at Yankee Stadium to win the 2003 World Series.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Thanks guy. I know he is only a young kid but I think you are right about demeanor being unteachable. He was pretty unflappable which was cool to watch. We'll see how he reacts to getting knocked around one of these days I guess.

I agree on Beckett. We need him to be that guy for us.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Chris, congrats on your son kicking ass in his athletic pursuits. My girls are too young for that yet, but I can only imagine what it will be like watching them play organized sports some day sooner rather than later.

Anyways fun times last night, and great job with that late-night sng. And what a killer last hand to win on. Checking the DQB on the turn, I think that was the key. Poor guy couldn't help but at least call you down with that overbet on the river after you'd checked it the whole way like that. A perfect slow play man, with perfect results.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Nice job in the SNG and congrats to your kid! Didn't you have quads in the Hoy as well? Or was that someone else?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?