Thursday, March 23, 2006

To show or not to show?

This will be short and sweet, but I am looking for comments here. I was talking to surflexus during my 45 SNG last night about how much he shows his cards when winning a pot uncontested. I’ve noticed lately that I have a tendency to show them more often than others do.

My question is, with what frequency do you show your cards, and what is your reasoning behind that frequency? I know that is pretty open ended, but I think you get what I mean. I am talking when winning a hand uncontested by the others folds, or when losing a hand at showdown. I don’t know if I am giving something up or not. I don’t think so, but want to hear thoughts.

Good luck to all others in the HUC3 tonight. Once I get bounced, I will be in the lounge no doubt. Have a good one.

4 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Klopzi said...

I never show my cards - period.

Some people like to show their big cards when they've been stealing pot after pot. All this tells me is that they've been bluffing a lot and want to make sure they don't get called.

Some people like to show a bluff. All this tells me is that I'm going to get all that guys chips when they try that sh*t again and I'm holding a quality hand.

I find that the less other players know about you, the better.

I've won SNGs before where I only went to showdown once prior to getting heads up. I'll tell you - when it gets down to heads up, your opponent won't know how to play against you if he/she hasn't seen any of your cards.

I know there's a skill to showing cards, but I prefer to keep it simple. I keep my cards hidden for the same reason that I never vary my pre-flop betting sizes: I don't want to give anything away about me or my cards.

I also don't really chat all that much either...maybe I'm just a prick...?

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

I have a few rules I follow when deciding to show cards.

1) I will never show cards that are likely to make my opponent feel good about folding. I always want my opponents questioning themselves and their play. I want them uncomfortable.

2) I will show cards that are likely to tilt my opponent, for the same reason. You can read my recent post on "bilting" to see the effects of this.

Corollary: I will always show the hammer. :-)

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger phat said...

I never show my cards, no matter what. If someone asks what I had, I'll tell them the cards I want them to think I had. Sometimes I'll offer this 'information' unprompted - telling people they made a great laydown when I actually had nothing, etc.

I think the only real purpose for showing a big bluff is to stroke your own ego and annoy your opponents. I want my opponents to be friendly and having a good time while giving me their $. I don't want to be a target!

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

Thanks for the responses guys. All good info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?