Friday, February 24, 2006

Roller coaster Thursday

Well, had a nice roller coaster ride on Interpoker last night that stopped just before the plunge, which was cool.

There was no action at all for Omaha Hi/Lo so I figured I would have to take my chances at the $25 NL tables instead. I want to try and get this bonus out of the way by the end of the weekend so figured this was my best shot.

I sat in on 2 tables with $20 on each table. I was reading some articles in Bluff on the train ride home yesterday and thought I would try to be a bit more aggressive and confident at the tables tonight. I know that anyone who uses Poker Tracker and has been playing at these tables with me, probably sees a fish or a mouse, so I was hoping to change my image.

I started getting some real nice cards. I had bullets by the fifth hand and raised 4BB preflop and got 2 callers. The flop was K 10 6 rainbow. The villain (yup, not gonna be a good one) lead out with a bet of $.50 and was called and it got back to me. I raised to $1.50 and was called by the villain. The turn was a rag. It was checked to me and I bet out $6 and after some thought, the village called. The river was another rag and the villain checked again to me. Knowing I might be in trouble I checked also to see his pocket 10s and his flopped set. Super, nice start. My $20 was now down to about $10 at that table.

On the other table, I was doing pretty well for the first half hour or so. I had flopped a set and grabbed some chips and won a couple other smallish pots to get me to about $34. I then see JJ in the BB. There is a min raise ahead of me so I reraise to $2.00. The original raiser raises to $10. I read this as an overbet to end it (Noone ever called me Ted Forrest), and fresh off my article reading and new brass balls, I decide to push. He dude thought for about 2 seconds and called. I had him covered by about $12, but that didn’t feel any better when he turned over his cowboys. I don’t improve and he even sends a finished kick to the junk when he spikes a K on the turn so I don’t have to hold my breath anymore. I could comfortably writhe in pain and not wait for the river.

At this point I am down to about $8 on one table and $12 on the other and feeling like I need a nice drink. Hmm, ok, Jack on the rocks.

I come back and see that Klopzi has joined my table. He talked me off the ledge with a some encouragement and it was focus time.

On the table we shared, I wasn’t getting too much love, but on the table that I got crushed with the kings, I started to get some momentum. I got bullets again and they held up. I pulled a dude along and basically doubled up. I was $22 or so when I flopped a set and the board was nice too. I think and A or K was there. I made some cash there. I deck kept hitting me in the face on that table when my buddy mike sat down. I was up to about $38 when I get JJ in MP and this is the wonderful hand history. (I know, you love hand histories, there will be 2 today). This one, not so good.

Game #1657807223: Hold'em NL ($0.15/$0.25) - 2006/02/23 - 21:26:00 (ET)
Table "Process" Seat 8 is the button.
Seat 1: pdressler ($9.75 in chips)
Seat 2: retus ($24.60 in chips)
Seat 4: drewspop ($37.85 in chips)
Seat 5: 32_32 ($20.30 in chips)
Seat 6: likemally ($24.75 in chips)
Seat 7: matt2345 ($38.20 in chips)
Seat 8: perowlan1 ($17.25 in chips)
Seat 9: newlooser ($19.80 in chips)
Seat 10: Ensano ($45.55 in chips)
newlooser: posts small blind $0.15
Ensano: posts big blind $0.25
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to drewspop [Jd Js]
pdressler: folds
retus: folds
drewspop: raises to $1
32_32: folds
likemally: folds
matt2345: folds
perowlan1: folds
newlooser: folds
Ensano: raises to $3
drewspop: calls $2
----- FLOP ----- [As 2h 3c]
Ensano: checks
drewspop: checks
----- TURN ----- [As 2h 3c][8s]
Ensano: bets $3
drewspop: calls $3
----- RIVER ----- [As 2h 3c 8s][9h]
Ensano: bets $5
drewspop: folds
Returned uncalled bets $5 to Ensano
Ensano: doesn't show hand
Ensano collects $11.55 from Main pot
----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot $12.15 Main pot $11.55 Rake $0.60
Board [As 2h 3c 8s 9h]
Seat 1: pdressler folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: retus folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: drewspop folded on the River
Seat 5: 32_32 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: likemally folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: matt2345 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: perowlan1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: newlooser (small blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 10: Ensano (big blind) collected $11.55

I figured I was beat. Did I misplay this one? I way overplayed the JJ earlier but his flop and turn bet seemed convincing enough that he had the A. Agree or disagree?

Anyway, I was a little bummed out about that one but still had about $32 when only a couple hands later I get a pair of 6s, again in MP/EP. This is the hand history (last one I promise, have to show the good one right?)

Game #1657881843: Hold'em NL ($0.15/$0.25) - 2006/02/23 - 21:27:52 (ET)
Table "Process" Seat 10 is the button.
Seat 1: pdressler ($9.50 in chips)
Seat 2: retus ($24.60 in chips)
Seat 3: fleckney ($20 in chips)
Seat 4: drewspop ($31.85 in chips)
Seat 5: 32_32 ($20.30 in chips)
Seat 6: likemally ($24.75 in chips)
Seat 7: matt2345 ($37.45 in chips)
Seat 8: perowlan1 ($18.35 in chips)
Seat 9: newlooser ($19.65 in chips)
Seat 10: Ensano ($50.95 in chips)
pdressler: posts small blind $0.15
retus: posts big blind $0.25
fleckney: posts big blind $0.25
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to drewspop [6h 6d]
fleckney: checks
drewspop: calls $0.25
32_32: folds
likemally: folds
matt2345: folds
perowlan1: calls $0.25
newlooser: folds
Ensano: raises to $0.75
pdressler: folds
retus: folds
fleckney: calls $0.50
drewspop: calls $0.50
perowlan1: calls $0.50
----- FLOP ----- [4c Kh 6s]
fleckney: checks
drewspop: checks
perowlan1: checks
Ensano: bets $3.25
fleckney: folds
drewspop: raises to $6.50
perowlan1: folds
Ensano: raises to $50.20 and is all-in
drewspop: is all-in $24.60
Returned uncalled bets $19.10 to Ensano
----- TURN ----- [4c Kh 6s][8h]
----- RIVER ----- [4c Kh 6s 8h][5d]
----- SHOW DOWN -----
Ensano: shows [Kc Ah] (A Pair of Kings, Ace high)
drewspop: shows [6h 6d] (Three of a kind, Sixes, King high)
drewspop collects $62.60 from Main pot
----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot $65.60 Main pot $62.60 Rake $3
Board [4c Kh 6s 8h 5d]
Seat 1: pdressler (small blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: retus (big blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: fleckney (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: drewspop showed [6h 6d] and won ($62.60) with Three of a kind,
Sixes, King high
Seat 5: 32_32 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: likemally folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: matt2345 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: perowlan1 folded on the Flop
Seat 9: newlooser folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 10: Ensano (button) showed [Kc Ah] and lost

This dude was at the other table I was on with Klopzi too so I couldn’t hoot and holler like I wanted to. Anyway, I decided to take care of the home fires a little bit after that and conserve my little win. I went a little card dead and got out of there about 20 minutes later.

All in all, up about $25 for the night so I can’t complain. I should have made more if I didn’t overplay those Jacks but I did learn from it at least.

2 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Klopzi said...

First off, being up $25 is great! I ended up barely squeaking out $5.

As for the hands you listed, here's my take:

AA vs. TT: You've got to raise more on the flop here to find out if you are truly ahead. Looks like the pot was $4 getting back to you - bet $3 - $4 here and watch what happens. You'll find out quickly if you're ahead when everyone folds. Otherwise, be careful.

JJ vs. KK: When someone raises, you've got to know how often they do so. With JJ out of position to a raise, you're playing to flop the set. You can call the raise (and folding unless you hit the set) or re-raise (not push). Someone with AA or KK will normally 3-bet it at that point and you can safely lay down your JJ. This is conservative view of the situation, but valid nonetheless.

However, if the raiser habitually tries to steal the blinds, you're going to have to raise to help define his hand.

JJ vs. ??: Not much you could do here. When you get re-raised pre-flop, you're most likely up against a big pair or a big ace. When flop comes A x x, you need to either bet out on the flop (remember, the ace may scare him too) or give up the hand - read dependant unfortunately.

66 vs. AK: All I can say is: You lucky f*cker! ;)

I flopped a couple sets last night but no one had the rocks to play back at me. In a similar situation, a guy with AK timed out and cost me a double up. Good job on this one!

Anyway, watch out for overplaying the big pairs but all in all, anytime you come away being up is good. And you work off the bonus at the same time! I told you that Interpoker would treat you right - did I lie?

I may see you around this weekend if you're on.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Cool, yeah, I really need to get Poker Tracker (I know, I am an idiot because I don't have it yet).

It must be very helpful to know what type of players you are up against. A distinctive edge.

You should let me know what it says about me now that we have a few under our belts on the same table.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?