Aussie Millions 2011
Australian poker rooms are buzzing with news of the upcoming Aussie Millions 2011 event. The Aussie
Millions is a spellbinding contest between the finest poker players. It’s the Southern Hemisphere’s premier poker tournament and the prize money is sensational. Every January at the Crown Casino in Melbourne, the Aussie Millions poker contest kicks off. Some of the biggest names in the poker world come out to enjoy this star-studded poker contest. The 2009 Aussie Millions event sported some 18 official events and those beauties resulted in the $10,500 No-Limit Hold’em Main Event. It was a sensation for Australian poker players. And the 1st prize was a whopping $2 million. The Main Event of the Aussie Millions is always a super event to partake in. The history and growth of these events is indeed a marvel to poker fans the world over. The Main Event is peppered with amazing growth rates and a steady overall increase in the number of entrants. For the past 5 years, this is what the Aussie Millions Poker Championship stats have revealed:
• In 2004 there were 133 entrants and a prize pool of $1.33 million.
The 1st prize was only $426,500.
• In 2005 the number of entrants doubled to 263 entrants and the prize
pool likewise to $2.63 million. The 1st prize was a cool $1 million.
• By 2006 there were some 418 entrants and a whopping $4.18 million in
the kitty. The 1st prize snaked up to $1.3 million.
• In 2007 there were some 747 poker entrants and a dazzling $7.47
million prize pool. The 1st prize crept up to a cool $1.5 million.
• By 2008 some 780 entrants qualified for the Aussie Millions. There
was a staggering $7.80 million prize pool and the 1st prized stood at a mighty $1.65 million.
• In 2009 the number of entrants tapered off a tad to 681 and so did
the prize pool, but the 1st prize winnings were $2 million.
The numbers certainly don’t lie and if expectations are met, then 2011 is going to be a bumper year for Australian online poker players at the Aussie Millions.