Monday, April 17, 2006

Happy Monday

Hope everyone had a nice holiday, if you celebrate it. We had a great day of multiple easter egg hunts, too much food, then a really fun wiffle ball game in the yard with the kids. Playing wiffle ball with my kids is maddening but the weather was great so it didn’t really matter. Basically, the game usually consists of my 9 year old trying to do his Roger Clemens impression as he tries to gun it by me. He then tries to strike out his 5 year old brother so my wife takes over the pitching duties and he pouts when the 5 year old gets a good hit. And God forbid you get either of them out. It’s like making the last out of the World Series. Anyway, it was still a lot of fun and the multiple beer lubrication didn’t hurt either.

After the littles were in bed, my wife and son watched another movie so I fired up the laptop to get some of my money back at River Belle. It didn’t really work that way. I played 2 50c/$1.00 limit tables and over the course of about an hour, I managed to lose about $30 more. I knew I wasn’t playing well so I shut them down. I still had about 2/3 of the bonus the clear but the bankroll was in serious dwindle mode. Rather than keep playing bad in the limit game, I decided to take a shot at a MTT SNG to see if I could get back some of the money that way. I did a 20 person, $5 SNG. I didn’t cash. I came in 8th when I got my chips in ahead, dominated the other guy actually with KQ to his QJ (I was in push monkey mode) but he hit a 4 flush on the board and I was done.

Not to be a quitter, I decided to play a single table SNG. I hadn’t played in a full, single table SNG in a while so I gave it a shot. It was about 9pm at this point and my wife was watching TV until 10pm. I figured I had just about the right amount of time. I actually ended up winning it. When I got to heads up, I was behind about 2-1 in chips but was patient and got the cards at the right now.

That one ended at about 9:40pm so I only had about 20 minutes. Not being able to fight the addiction, and fresh off my win, I saw that one of their “Extreme Turbos” was filling up. This was another single, full table $5 SNG, but the blinds double after ever 2 hands! Basically, not a lot of skill involved, just getting lucky and playing at the right time is how you can win these things.

I was the small blind on the first hand and was dealt 34o, which I quickly folded, even though I could have limped in with 8 others. That is basically how I always play anyway, if I don’t like the hand, I check off the box and move on. Well, of course, I would have flopped a straight. Ah well. A few hands later and I had to start playing because of the structure. It went so fast, I really don’t remember any big hands but I won this one too. It was over in 15 minutes. When I got ITM, the other 2 were all in automatically with their blinds! I lost the first 2 hands or so but they could never get out of the rut with the blinds doubling on them.

It was a nice way to end the weekend by winning these back to back. Now maybe I have enough cash to finish the bonus? We’ll see. I am off to the bar for some live action tonight but I will be in the WWdN tomorrow. See you all there.

It is a slow day here in Boston today, although I do have to technically work. It is Patriots day which means that a bunch of lucky people have the day off, the Boston Marathon is today, and the Red Sox play at 11am. It is a little bit murky out, but if I can score a ticket, even standing room, I am going to make the short trip over for some of the game. Just a long lunch is all ;)

Have a good Monday.

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

Those 2 minute SNG's trip me out. I've played a few of them when in a hurry, but needing my fix.

HaHa...we are ridiculous...

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Oh yeah, absolutely. Just pathetic and since I got lucky this time, you know I will do it again and again.

I love this game.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Ha it's so true Chris, you'll be in these things every night for the next week. Until you realize just how insane they really are. Blinds increasing every 2 hands?! I'd have to say there is next to no skill involved in those.

See you at the WWdN tomorrow night hopefully. When are you coming to nyc again?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

Going to be in NYC this Friday until Sunday with my son, visiting my sister.

Of course, I played 2 of them last night and it was even worse, as I posted. They were 5 person tables. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?